Funeral insurance can help protect your family in the event of your death, alleviating the financial burden of your funeral during an already trying time. Funeral cover can allow you to plan ahead, put your affairs in order, and ensure that you receive the funeral service you and your family want.
Applying for Funeral Insurance
Cover is generally guaranteed for Australian residents aged 17 to 80 and it is possible to apply for yourself, a spouse or relative.
Funeral Insurance Discounts we have available
- At xLife, we can make your first three months premium free
- If there are two or more policies where the persons insured have the same residential address, a 10% discount will apply to the premium for all those policies.
Benefits of Funeral Insurance
- You can insure yourself for anywhere between $5,000 to $30,000 – generally in $1000 increments
- You cease paying premiums at age 90, after which your cover continues for life
- Pays the full sum insured if accidental death occurs within the first 12 months of the policy. If death occurs after the first 12 months you will be entitled to 3 times the benefit amount.
- Refunds all premiums paid if death is caused within the first 12 months (excluding causes due to accident or self-inflicted injury).
- No medicals are required
- There is usually a cooling off period, generally 45 days, during which time you can change or cancel your cover to ensure that it meets your needs.
Generally, you can choose to pay your premiums either fortnightly, monthly or yearly.
Who receives the Benefit?
You can generally nominate up to four beneficiaries to receive the benefit under your policy. Your beneficiaries can usually be nominated either at the time of application or after.
Automatic Increase of Your Benefit
To help keep up with inflation, your benefit amount will generally increase by 5% on each anniversary of your policy application.
Determine your Funeral Costs
While your benefit may be adjusted to keep up with inflation, it’s still advised to consider the affect it can have on funeral costs in the future. Things like burial plots, cremation, and even funeral home costs will increase in line with inflation. Over a 10 or 15 year period, funeral costs may go up considerably.
Another way to ensure your funeral costs don't get out of hand is having a funeral plan. A funeral plan generally lists how you would like your funeral to proceed. Along with the plan you can explain whether you want a burial or cremation, and whether you want an extravagant or simple casket.
How to Claim Your Benefit
The paperwork you typically need to provide your insurer to make a funeral cover claim includes:
- A Death certificate
- The original policy document and policy schedule
- Completed claim form
If you would like more detailed information regarding the benefits of funeral insurance and how they relate to you, please contact one of our financial advisers today on 1300 135 205.